Miniature tongs made from horseshoe nails by R.G. Tuttle.
Coal fired forge for heating stock.
Metal bender for bending rod and flat stock into curves and sharp angles.
Triphammer for drawing and flattening metals.
The metal cutter above was made by R.G. Tuttle for cutting hot stock.
The sign over the door says "R.G. Tuttle, Blacksmith Shop, Welding." It graces the
front of an old, weathered building, black with age. The shop, located in New Plymouth, was founded
by R.G. Tuttle.
Tuttle came to Idaho in 1898 at the ripe old age of nine. He began his career as a
blacksmith's apprentice and in 1919 he opened his own shop. Specializing in horse shoeing and farm
machinery repair, he is believed to have designed and built the first manure loader. He never patented
his idea but gave out information on it upon request which came from all over the country. Mr. Tuttle
built some of the equipment still in the shop today including a hot metal cutter and stock bender for
bending different kinds of stock into angles and curves. He also built a unique set of miniature tools
out of horseshoe nails.
In 1926 the present building was acquired and moved to its present site. The shop is
now run by the founder's son, Larry. Larry also specializes in farm machinery repair, welding, and
modifications on equipment such as cutting slots in solid blade plows.
Among Larry Tuttle's talents is the making of branding irons. Samples of his irons
sprout out of the wall which bears the burned-in designs of these irons.
The trade itself is fast becoming a lost art. The Tuttle shop gets business from within
a one hundred mile radius of New Plymouth and has little competition in this area. A third generation
Tuttle is now working in the shop. R.G. Tuttle's grandson is learning the ropes.
R.G. Tuttle aquired this building in 1926 and had it moved to its present site.
Larry Tuttle had a perfect eyebolt after six or seven strokes.
R.G. Tuttle's grandson holds a board burned with branding irons made by his father.